The DC State Fair relies on volunteers to run a successful event. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, read the job descriptions below and sign up on our Volunteer Registration page.
Please contact the Volunteer Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Volunteer Before the Fair
- Marketing Street Team: Work in teams on weekends throughout the month of August to post DC State Fair flyers in neighborhoods and at businesses across the District.
- Social Media Ninjas: Provide updates for our social media accounts from now until the day of the fair.
- Day-Before Logistics: Pick up supplies and complete preliminary fairgrounds set-up. Transportation provided. Heavy lifting involved.
Volunteer During the Fair (Between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m.):
- Set-Up: The morning of the fair, set up tables, tents, signs, balloons and more.
- Welcome and Information Tent: Welcome people to the fair and provide them with information about the event, its contests, its sponsors and whatever else they might ask for. Encourage fairgoers to donate, sign up for our mailing list and follow us on social media.
- Press Tent: Distribute press kits and direct press inquiries to the appropriate person(s).
- Crowd Control: Direct traffic, manage the flow of people and offer assistance to fairgoers as needed.
- Pet Parade: Check in pets and their owners before the Pet Parade. Walk with the parade, help participants navigate the route and make sure pets stay in line once they return to the fairgrounds.
- ID Check: Check the IDs of fairgoers inside the biergarten. Must be over 21 to volunteer for this role.
- Contests: Support contest logistics, including: helping contestants complete their entry forms; storing, organizing and preparing foods for judging; numbering entries for blind judging; and ensuring recipes are submitted for contests that require them.
- Kids’ Activities: Work with children and their caregivers to lead group and independent kid-friendly activities.
- Winners’ Table: Organize and display winning contest entries, guarding them from theft and helping contestants claim their entries if desired.
- Social Media Outreach: Update our social media accounts during the fair
- Clean-Up: When the fair is over, take down tables, tents, signs, balloons and more. Carefully pack unclaimed contest entries for storage.