Friendly pets on leashes, in cages, in tanks or in aquariums are invited to march in the Second Annual DC State Fair Pet Parade!
The Pet Parade will begin at 11:30 a.m. on Sunday, August 28, 2016. All participants must register in advance and meet at 11 a.m. on the day of the Fair at the South entrance of NoMa Junction at Storey Park (the intersection of First St. and L St. NE).
The parade route will follow First Street NE.
Costumes for pets and their owners are encouraged (but not required). Participants are also encouraged to enter our pet-themed contests and stick around after the parade to enjoy the rest of the DC State Fair. Shade and water will be available for pets.
Don’t have a pet? Have room in your home and heart for one more? Wagtime and the Washington Humane Society-Washington Animal Rescue League will be on-site with lovable critters available for adoption.
Rules and Regulations
- If you wish to participate in the Pet Parade with a prohibited animal such as livestock, you must obtain a Special Event/Exotic Animal Permit from the DC Department of Health. Requirements for the Special Event/Exotic Animal Permit vary by species of animal. Therefore, participants with exotic animals must contact the DC Department of Health at least 48 business hours before the DC State Fair in order to obtain a permit.
- All animals must be leashed and walked on no longer than a four-foot lead.
- All dogs that are District of Columbia residents must have a current DC Dog License.
- All dogs must be current on Rabies and Distemper vaccines and owners must have vaccination paperwork on-site.
- All cats must be current on Rabies vaccine and owners must have vaccination paperwork on-site.
- DC Animal Care and Control will conduct random unannounced inspections. Any animal that is found to be not in compliance with any District Animal Control Codes runs the risk of impoundment at the owner’s expense and/or dismissal from the District.