Our contests for kids and adults highlight the agricultural, artistic, and even athletic talents of the District of Columbia. All contestants must be residents of Washington, DC. First, second, and third place winners will receive ribbons, with some contests offering additional prizes.
Please contact the Contests Committee at email@example.com with any questions.
Live contests do not require pre-registration.
Kids’ and Teen Contests (Registration forms include information about ages for participation.)
- Cupcake (New!) Register online.
- Bread (New!) Register online.
- Pie: Best Apple, Best Fruit (Non-Apple), Best Savory, Best Crust, Best Pie Made with Homegrown Ingredients and Best in Show. Register online.
- Fiber Art (New!): Crochet, Knitting, Quilting and Embroidery. Register online.
- Terrarium. Register online.
Growing and Gardening
- Bud. Register online.
- Compost. Register online.
- Funkiest Looking Vegetable. Register online.
- Heaviest Vegetable. Register online.
- Longest Vegetable. Register online.
- Tomato: Best Red, Best Non-Red and Best Heirloom. Register online.
- Chili. Register online.
- Honey. Register online.
- Homebrew. Register online.
- Ice Cream. Register online.
- Jams and Jellies: Best Strawberry Jam, Best Berry (Non-Strawberry) Jam and Best Non-Berry Jam. Register online.
- Mumbo Sauce (Back by popular demand!). Register online.
- Pickled Foods: Best Cucumber Pickle, Best Non-Cucumber Pickle and Best Pickled Pepper. Register online.
- Pupusa (New!) Register online.
- Wine (New!) Register online.
Sign up by showing up! Unless otherwise noted, live contests are for people of all ages.
- Hula Hoop: Longest Hula Hooping and Most Creative Style
- Double Dutch (New!)
- Limbo (New!): Under Five Feet Tall and Over Five Feet Tall
- Sloppy Joe Eating (Adults Only)
- Watermelon Seed-spitting (New!): Kids Under 12, Teens 13-17 and Adults 18+
- Ice Cream Eating (New!): Kids 5-8, Kids 9-12
- Water Balloon Toss (New!): Kids 5-12
- So You Think You Can Dance
- Whisker Wars (New!) (Adults Only): Best Moustache, Best ZZ Top Gnarly, The Lincoln (No ‘Stache!), Best Beard and ‘Stache Combo and The Creative Metrosexual
- Tattoo (Adults Only): Best Sleeve, DC-Themed, Black and Gray, Color Creative
- Best Pet Costume
- Best Pet and Owner Costume
- Most Unidentifiable Mutt
- Owner/Pet Lookalike
- So Ugly… You’re Cute
- Longest Sit-Stay
- 50-Yard Dash
- Best Catcher (Frisbee)
- Best Fetcher (Tennis Ball)
- Best Stupid Pet Trick
- Largest Pet (Non-Dog)
- Smallest Pet (Non-Dog)
- Lonesome George (Non-Dog)