Note that Pet Parade signup is now closed. If you haven’t already filled out an entry form, you will not be able to enter into the contests. All pets are invited to march! Before coming to the Parade, please review the DC Government’s rules and regulations below.
Bring your friendly pet on a leash, or in a cage, tank, or aquarium to the DC State Fair for the First Annual DC Pet Parade! Costumes (for you and your pet) are encouraged, but not required.
The parade route has changed due to a high number of entries. The parade will start on September 12, 2015 at 12:30pm. All DC Pet Parade participants should gather at 10th and Rhode Island Ave. NW, just to the left of Old City Farm and Guild, by noon to check in. All contest participants will gather back to the Parade start area for judging.
Leading the way as the Marshall on the parade route will be a CELEBRITY PET—stay tuned for more details.
Unfortunately, registration is closed. There is no fee to register, but you MUST have registered before September 1st in order to enter in contests. See below for specific rules and regulations from the DC government that participants must review before the day of the Fair.
Everyone who participates in the Pet Parade will get a commemorative ribbon. There will also be contests with prizes for:
- Pet/owner look-alike (non-costume)
- Pet/owner look-alike (costume)
- Best costume (animal only)
Don’t have a pet, or have space in your house and heart for more? The Washington DC Humane Society will be on site with lovable critters you can meet and adopt.
***IMPORTANT RULES AND REGULATIONS***
- If any prohibited animals such as livestock wish to participate in the parade then they require a Special Event/Exotic Animal Permit from the DC Department of Health. Requirements for Special Event/Exotic Animal Permit vary per species of animal therefore the participants with exotic animals must contact the DoH within 48 business hours of the event in order to attain their permit.
- All animals must be leashed and walked on no longer than a four foot lead.
- All dogs who are District residents must have a current DC Dog License.
- All dog participants must be current on Rabies and Distemper vaccines and owners must have vaccination paperwork onsite. Cats must be current on Rabies vaccine and owners must also have the current vaccination paperwork onsite.
- DC Animal Care and Control will be conducting random unannounced inspections and any animal found that is not in compliance with any of the District Animal Control Codes run the risk of impoundment at the owner’s expense and or dismissal from the District.
After the parade, you are invited to stay and participate in Fair and/or beer garden. Learn more about the 2015 DC State Fair contests and schedule.