What do you love to do with basil in your kitchen? Whatever it is, be sure to whip it up and share it at City Blossoms’ Basil Bonanza on Friday!
This Friday, 6-8:30 PM, local garden organization City Blossoms is hosting their 3rd Annual Basil Bonanza! It’s a family-friendly community party focused on the delicious herb traditionally paired with tomatoes: Basil. But basil isn’t limited to a delicious caprese platter or tomato sauce, and for this Bonanza potluck party, you can make Blackberry Basil Jam, Strawberry Basil Pesto, or even a Lemongrass-Basil Sherbert!
City Blossoms encourages folks to make a dish featuring Basil and bring it out to share on Friday night. To help get your creative juices flowing, they suggest making a dish in one of five categories:
1. Besto-Pesto: For the dish that is considered best interpretation of “pesto.”
2. Tongue Thai’ed: The dish with the most kick (and maybe some thai basil mixed in).
3. The Basil-Bunch: In keeping with Brady Bunch tradition, the dish that is the best collaborative effort by a group of 2 or more people.
4. La Dolce Basil: The sweetest dish.
5. Supremely Sippable: The dish that is really a drink.
I asked Rebecca Lemos, one of City Blossoms’ founders, why City Blossoms loves to celebrate basil.
We love hosting the Basil Bonanza. It is a time to get together and celebrate the end of summer, everyone’s hard work, and all the wonderful things harvested throughout the season. We pick Basil as the focus of our summer bounty because its easy going, yet elegant and enchanting… It’s the Audrey Hepburn of herbs.
The Basil Bonanza, at the Girard Street Garden (1480 Girard Street NW), will also have workshops, juggling, dancing, face-painting, and more. Be sure to RSVP and send in your recipe to email@example.com–they’ll be making a recipe book from the event!